Accessibility Contact Example
Note: The links below open new windows.
Lynda.com Accessibility Training
The following Libraries offer free access to Lynda.com if you have a local library card! Check it out at:
Accessibility Online - United States Access Board
- "Trusted Tester Program" - Section 508 - Department of Homeland Security (4/3/2014)
- Section 508 Refresh - Using WCAG 2.0 to Evaluate Document Accessibility December 5, 2013
- Section 508 – Accessible Web Content WCAG 2.0 July 11, 2013
- Social Media, Disabilities, and Employment Protections November 14, 2012
- Assistive Listening Systems October 4, 2012
- Accessible Webinars September 6, 2012
- Accessible Communication Elements and Features May, 3, 2012
- Section 508 "The Basics" September 1, 2011
- Section 508 Standards Refresh April 1,2010
Helpful ADA reference information
Accessibility Evaluation Tools
Though tools can spot certain issues, accessibility testing requires human judgment. You will need to evaluate what the tools are telling you. Accessibility compliance isn’t black and white. We can’t just rely on the tools and the rules. We must also go beyond them, to the subjective areas. To truly assess compliance, you must interact with the webpage to determine if a person with disabilities can complete tasks, and how difficult that process is for them.
Use the browser's accessibility functions (e.g text size, zoom, no page style) to determine whether or not the site responds as expected to those functions.
Simply trying to use your website with the keyboard (hide your mouse) can tell you a lot about the accessibility of the site.
Siteimprove Accessibility Checker will help you jumpstart your Web Accessibility Efforts directly in Google Chrome much like WAVE.
WAVE - provides easy user interface to identify non compliant items. Validates for both Section 508 & WCAG compliance. It also has a Chrome Extension that can be used in the Chrome Browser behind the firewall in the staging environment.
WAVE Chrome Extension Installation: Open the link below with the Chrome browser and then click on ADD TO CHROME.
Mozilla Firefox Extension - AInspector Sidebar - evaluates the accessibility compliance of web pages based on WCAG 2.0 requirements using OpenAjax Alliance rulesets. It organizes the evaluation results by Rule Categories and WCAG Guidelines. Open the link below in Mozilla Firefox and follow the instructions.
Other Firefox Accessibility Extensions
Other Accessibility Checkers (Evaluation Tools)
Color and Contrast Tools
Social Media Resources